Recently Michelle Porter from Michelle Porter Photography asked if I was available for a mommy and me shoot. Of course I jumped on the oppurtunity! I knew I had to start planning and coordinating outfits which can often be stressful for families with more than 2 kids. I want to use this post to share my steps to a simple and stress free photo session and also share the amazing work from a dear friend, Michelle!
Lets face it. As much as we want our family members to be excited about family photo shoots… they just aren’t. It sometimes becomes a task just pre-planning what your going to have to bribe them with to make them smile for the camera. Yes, Husbands require this too! (jk babe, you are awesome)
I love photos. I always have. Its so special to me to look back at a day from 4,5, or 10 years ago and relive the moment from a picture we captured. Its time you’ll never get back so I cherish a good photo. Here are a few things I do before photo shoots.
- look online (pinterest) for inspiration. Have a set of ideas, props and looks sent to your photographer before the shoot. For this shoot, I took a vintage chair I had sitting in my closet and propped it in our yard. And Brielle actually has a wool rug wrapped around her! Michelle and a friend of hers handmade these fresh flower crowns. It was so fun to change things up! Brielle and I felt like fairies!
- Decide on a location. Try to think out of the box for this one! Even in your woods or a family park can be the best. We chose our yard for this shoot.
- Choose outfits for you and your family members. This can be tricky. Its hard to color coordinate your whole family and make sure everything matches perfectly and blends. Its easy to find yourself racing around the day before the shoot looking for the perfect dress or shirt for your son so have this done a week or so in advance giving you time to make changes. Not sure what colors compliment each other? Another great time to use pinterest for inspiration. Sometimes the simplest outfits can make for the best pictures. I chose to use a simple old tee to dress down my sequin skirt. Want to make the most of your shoot? Ask your photographer if you can do an outfit change!
- Want to get really slammed up and cherish your photos forever? Hire a professional Hair and Makeup artist. My goto Girl is Rachel Rupert. To contact Rachel email email@example.com .
- Prep your skin the night before! I love to get a spray tan to give add a little color in photos. With my hair so light I can sometimes look a little ghosty. My favorite new product to use mornings of are NERIUM EYE-V HYDROGEL PATCHES. My mother in law got me hooked on these. The work fast to brighten your skin under your eyes along with reducing fine lines, wrinkles and puffiness. These things work magic. If you’d like to purchase and give these a try click HERE .
- Have kids? Pack chocolate. Brielle hates taking pictures so we had to take 1 or 2 chocolate breaks.
- HAVE FUN! Don’t be stiff, Let loose. Tickle your kids, throw them in the air! Pinch your partners but and smile. These will be memories you’ll cherish forever. A special Thank You to Michelle for capturing these amazing photos and Lynsey Marie for the adorable video. Enjoy!
best of luck on your next photo session